Warriors and Kings
The 1500-Year Battle for Celtic Britain
Published: Amberley (UK) 2017
For centuries, the Celtic peoples of Britain stood fast against invasion and oppression. Theirs is a fascinating and exciting story that includes the deeds of some of the most tenacious and heroic leaders in history – from Caratacus and Boudicca to William Wallace, Owain Glyndwr and the legendary King Arthur. What was it that gave first the Britons, and then the Welsh, this fanatical will to hold out against overwhelming odds through so many centuries?
Martin Wall explores the mythology and psychology of this unyielding and insular people; their devotion to charismatic leaders they believed to be sent from God, and their stubborn determination ‘ne’er to yield’ to oppression and injustice, whether Roman, Saxon, Norman, Viking, or later, the ravages of industrialisation. This fascinating book explores Celtic Britain from before the onslaught of the Roman Empire, through rebellion and open war, to the Act of Union passed under the Tudors and on to the Victorian era.
A fantastic read!
Very well researched and written
[Amazon Customer – Five Stars]
A goodreads.com Review
A very readable nicely put together narrative of a fascinating history. The author provides a nicely balanced, objective view of British Celtic history.
[Francis Shaw – Four Stars]
A goodreads.com Review
Readers of Wall’s previous ‘The Anglo Saxon Age’ will be pleased to know that, for much of its length, this account of the Saxons’ long-time enemies is just as entertaining. It is not a scholarly work aimed at specialists in the period but it does give the reader a feel of the period.
In the first chapter, the evidence is archaeological rather than historical so the tale can be told in only the broadest terms, but we are left in no doubt that there were times in years BC when a more sophisticated civilization flourished in Britain than post-Roman commentators have allowed.
[Richard Clay – Four Stars]
- Author Martin Wall is interviewed by Charles Christian on The Weird Tales Radio Show22nd December 2019 - 1:52 pm
- Robert Plant sings his praises for Kinver author’s magic book16th September 2019 - 5:55 pm
- Listen – Martin is interviewed by Paul Ross on Talk Radio24th June 2019 - 5:54 pm
- The Anglo-Saxon Age: The Birth of England by Martin Wall – Review1st March 2017 - 10:37 am
- Warriors and Kings: The 1500-Year Battle for Celtic Britain by Martin Wall – Review19th February 2017 - 9:58 am
Books by Martin Wall
- The Magical History of Britain by Martin Wall19th September 2019 - 4:38 pm
- Warriors and Kings, The 1500-Year Battle For Celtic Britain by Martin Wall1st June 2017 - 1:06 pm
- The Anglo-Saxons in 100 Facts by Martin Wall15th June 2016 - 4:22 pm
- The Anglo-Saxon Age: The Birth of England by Martin Wall8th September 2015 - 4:34 pm
- In the Wake of the Comet Star by Martin Wall19th September 2014 - 4:46 pm